Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Homemade Chicken Enchiladas


We love Mexican food in our house!
This chicken enchilada recipe I've been making and tweaking for years, it is so yummy!

This is what you'll need:
/one pound or two cups of cooked (boiled) chicken pulled apart/ one small can of diced green chilies/ 2 cups of chicken broth/ 3 tablespoons of butter/ 3 tablespoons of flour/ one cup of fat free sour cream/ 2 cups of cheese divided (I used a Mexican blend)/ 10 large wraps of your choice

This is optional but oh so delicious:
I add a can of Rotel tomatoes to our enchiladas as well as a can of black beans rinsed



First I combine all the ingredients for the "inside" of my enchiladas.
I have the boiled chicken pulled apart, one cup of cheese, rinsed black beans, and Rotel.


Next I fill my wraps. 
I used about half a cup per wrap.


I place the filled enchiladas in a lightly sprayed casserole dish.

Now for the delicious sauce!


Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a sauce pan.


Once the butter is melted, add 3 tablespoons of flour.
This will be super thick. Keep mixing this for about a minute.


Next add the chicken broth and with a whisk stir well.
About two minutes or so.
Once all the way mixed add the sour cream and green chilies. 


Keep the temp on a low simmer here.
(If this boils you stand a chance of the sour cream becoming chunky, gross!)


Pour sauce over enchiladas.
It will look like a lot of liquid, it will cook down.


Add remaining cup of cheese.

Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Once cooked, allow to sit for about 5 minutes.



This recipe is delicious and one of our favorites. 
I like to add a bit of salsa on top.
So good!!

3 comments:

  1. Ok big drool hanging out of mouth right now!!! I love Mexican food as well, and my burritos and enchiladas never turn out this good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mexican good is soo yummy! I'm convinced anything with a tad of salsa is simply wonderful!

      Delete